Motorists: Beware children playing as clocks go forward
British Summer Time officially arrives this weekend as the clocks go forward an hour at 1am on Sunday 30 March.
As the country prepares to "spring forward” and with the Easter school holidays coming up, we're reminding motorists to take extra care on the roads as children begin to play out in the evenings.
Motorists are advised to:
• be aware of children using roads, both as cyclists and as pedestrians
• watch out for children attempting to cross between parked cars
• watch out for children playing around parks and open spaces and remember that they can become easily distracted.
Parents are asked to:
• remind their child to give the road their full attention
• ensure they choose a safe place to play - not the road
• ensure their child is familiar with the route they will be taking and the safer crossing places available
• make sure they take off headphones and switch off phones when crossing the road
• ensure they wear a cycle helmet and light/bright clothing when cycling