Sunday 27 October 2013 is a significant date in everyone’s life. Why? It is the day that the clocks go back an hour .
This is a particularly significant date for drivers because it may well be the first time in a long while that they have made their daily commuting journey in the dark. Will the lights on your car, motorcycle, or bicycle be fully functioning? When did you last check that they are all working properly?
The Highway Code stipulates that you MUST:
- Ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
- Use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph
- Use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced
- Night (the hours of darkness) is as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise.
- Why not make it a task this weekend to check the lights on your vehicle, whatever that is, to ensure that you will not be caught out when the clocks go back.